Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Very Interesting.

I'm not a huge fan of the Arabs being in charge of our ports...but I must confess that I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. The first sign of unprofessionalism would get them fired, but that will probably mean we lost something too important to risk. On the other hand, we need to honor contracts and the market process...cause that's what we stand for.

Here is what's interesting. Some people in Congress are talking about orgainizing oposition to the deal...and Bush gave a very forceful responce: (From Drudge Report)

Bush called reporters at about 2.30 ET aboard Air Force One to issue a very strong defense of port deal... MORE... He said he would veto any legislation to hold up deal and warned the United States was sending 'mixed signals' by going after a company from the Middle East when nothing was said when a British company was in charge... Lawmakers, he said, must 'step up and explain why a Middle Eastern company is held to a different standard.' Bush was very forceful when he delivered the statement... 'I don't view it as a political fight,' Bush said.... MORE... MORE...


Here's a news article...

The interesting thing is the strength of the responce...and the fact that this is Bush saying something that sounds like a Democrat. (He is saying, in essence, "No Racial Profiling") I think I understand why he's saying this, but I'm still uneasy. I think that we need to go along with the flow on this one, and pay extra special attention to what the port handlers are doing. If the deal works, and our ports are safe, well, that's an excellent way to prove that there are moderate Muslims out there with loud voices...but if it fails, we lose at least one of our ports next to big cities...which would suck a lot.

I will keep an eye out for more information, and I'll keep thinking about it, obviously...

Update: Will, over at Vodkapundit, has similar thoughts and problems. I now realize I'm more firmly against what he calls "No Arabs Need Apply," but I think they should still have a pretty extensive screening process...just like everyone else who gets a sensitive job for the federal government.

Update II: The other side...from American Future. This also has a decent round up of coverage.

Update III: Next up, the Officer's Club. Their opinion is always worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment