Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Reading update

Well, I have to say that I was right about the last three books that I have to read for my English class this semester. They are all boring/not cool. But at least the first two of these three were merely boring. I'm ten whole pages into the final book, and I was starting to think that maybe this would be a little cool. It's a murder mystery, written by a hard-core feminist, and it's gotten awards. And you know what that means...I was reading with caution. But after ten pages, I was thinking to my self..."Maybe this won't be so bad!" And then she could resist no longer. The main character's male boss essentially says..."It sucks that more women are listening to our radio station. Women are useless listeners. We've been trying to get interesting politics and sports coverage for years, but now that's all a waste. Women want nothing but cheesy Romance Stories." I was like "Yeah! I totally agree...with none of that!" It's all so wrong that I wonder why the straw man even continues to survive. I mean, I'm a pretty chauvinistic pig, as pigs go. I hold the door open and everything. But I don't think any of that is true...I don't really think any of that's true...I guess the only people who think this way are radical feminists... **Sigh**...and I was ten whole pages into the book, and I was starting to enjoy it. **Second Sigh** Time to put my nose back to the grindstone.




(Full disclosure, since I've been getting misunderstood a lot today...I like to think I'm pretty progressive about women's rights. I don't feel that there is anything I can do that a woman can't also do, no job I can hold etc...I do like to observe polite formalities, like opening the door...because if I don't do it, then who will? But, alas, I've been yelled at (well, at least snapped at) for performing simple courtesies like that. Call me crazy/prudish, but I feel like that is rude. I hope that was informative about my thoughts, and I hope no one misunderstood and that no one new thinks I'm a crazy bastard. Well, I can't do anything about that. So if you feel like I'm a crazy bastard, be my guest and go somewhere else, where your thoughts won't get challenged at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment