Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Some good news in an overall bad story

Turkey dislikes us (20% approval) more than twice as much as it dislikes Iran(43% approval) ...and it barely prefers Europe to Iran (45% approval). I can understand why they wouldn't be crazy about Europe right now - Turkey should be part of the EU soon, but Europeans aren't taking them seriously.

But the 20% approval is disappointing, even if it isn't completely surprising. Turkey used to be one of our biggest supporters, but I guess opinions are changing on the heels of the lastest Kurdish bombing campaign.

However, there was this gem tucked away at the bottom of the article (and I can't fault the placement of the paragraph, even though I rue the reasons it was placed at the bottom.):

"When broken down by age, the findings showed younger Turks have warmer feelings toward both the United States and the European Union than the national averages."


At least the young people who will eventually be in control like us better than the national averages. I'd like to know more about this, but that isn't the story here, so I'll have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment